Main course

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

BROWNIES WITH ALMONDS



One of the first baked product I learned to make was brownies. As a self-confessed chocoholic, I love all things made from chocolates. Just a small bite of this yummy goodness can make you swoon. It is easy to bake and always illicit a second round at the dessert  table at any party.


2 c sifted all purpose flour
3/4c butter
1 whole bar unsweetened baking chocolate ( I like to use Hershey's )
2 tbsp. cocoa powder
5 whole eggs
1 1/4 cups granulated white sugar
2 tbsp. light corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c almonds( you can add more if you like)

In a microwave, melt butter and chocolate together, about 2-3 minutes (check and mix  every 1 minute). Transfer to a mixing bowl, cool about 5minutes (important for the choco and butter to be at room temperature so not to cook the eggs when added). With the use of a mixer,  add sugar, salt, corn syrup and vanilla extract. Then add the eggs one at a time. Add flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt to the mixture. Beat for about two minutes.

In a rectangular pyrex pan or a regular pan will do, transfer brownie batter. Sprinkle almonds on top ( I like my brownies covered in almonds). Bake in a pre-heated 350 degrees oven at 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Once cooled lightly brush 1tbsp. corn syrup on top to make brownie glisten (this is totally optional).

Through the years, I have made some variations on the original recipe that I found in an old recipe book that my Mom used to  keep, I think it was a circa 1940s. Which unfortunately, got lost or was swept away by the floods that usually ravaged Mandaluyong when I was growing up. I've lessen the amount of butter, sugar and added the corn syrup to make the brownies fit the calorie concious present time.

2 comments:

LPM said...

Hiya Pinky!! Love the title of your food blog! Wish we neighbors and I am certain everyday would be a party of some kind! Lagot ang waistline ko, it will completely disappear!! Enjoying looking at your recipes and lovely outcomes! First up, is your salmon rendition. I shall try that tomorrow! Enjoy your weekend. Best regards from my corner of the globe to yours!! :)

Unknown said...

thank you LPM!