Main course

Sunday, July 24, 2011

STRAWBERRY AND BLUEBERRY MUFFINS



I made a promise to the Kitchen Notebook group on Facebook  that I will write the recipe for these particular muffins over the week-end. Unfortunately, the Sun came out in Vancouver which means I had to go and enjoy the rejuvenating rays of the Sun. Give my homage to the Sun God so to speak. Albeit delayed,  here is the recipe for Strawberry and blueberry muffins.

I baked the muffins  for a pregnant friend's birthday,  who I know has a sweet tooth, due to her being double (buntis) I wanted it to be low cal and healthy. I packed the muffins with lots of fresh strawberries and blueberries which are in season now.

This is a one bowl recipe, which means less time cleaning up later. The recipe is super easy to prepare, it is for 2 dozen muffins. You can halve the recipe if you wish or you can  freeze the rest and enjoy it on a later date. The muffins can be stored in the freezer for about a month.

2c whole wheat flour
2c oatmeal
1 1/2c brown sugar
1c milk ( you can substitute 1c brewed coffee)
2/3c canola oil
4tsp. baking powder
1/2tbsp. vanilla
5 eggs (don't separate)
1 1/2c blueberries
1 1/2c strawberries (chopped)


Line your muffin pans with paper cups.
Pre-heat your oven to 350degrees.
Cream your eggs with brown sugar.
Slowly stir in milk (or coffee), vanilla  and canola oil.
Alternate your fluids with the flour, oatmeal and baking powder.
Mix everything together (fluids and flour mixture)
Divide batter into  the lined pans.
Top each muffin  batter with  the strawberries and blueberries.
Bake for 30minutes  or it is done  when a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.

2 comments:

SKIP TO MALOU said...

Im in a baking mode(I just posted chocnut muffin too!) so this one maybe next.
Thanks for sharing. My daughter and I have a second baking adventure tomorrow!
Im enjoying the Kitchen Notebook group. I'm glad I was invited.

Unknown said...

Hello Malou,
Thanks for the comment, that Chocnut muffin sounds good too. Can't wait to read it in your blog. Am glad your enjoying Kitchen Notebook, I know I am. Happy cooking!