Main course

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

HONEY YOGURT BUNDT CAKE with lemon milk icing


This cake has almost all of my favorite ingredients, honey, yogurt, milk and lemon. I was browsing around my kitchen the other day, looking for some ingredients for a particular cake I wanted to bake,  I didn't want to go to the store to buy some ingredients that were missing, I was feeling too lazy to do that. So necessity being the Mother of all inventions. I came up with a delicious and moist cake just by raiding my fridge and pantry. Bundt cakes are usually made with buttermilk but since I didn't have that, I substituted yogurt. Used honey instead of sugar in the recipe.



Now you might ask, what is a Bundt cake?  It's your usual coffee cake that is baked in a bundt container that looks like ridged ring. It was invented by the Germans, why I don't know, all I know is that whenever I make a cake from this pan it always comes out perfectly baked. I must be because of the hole in the center, where air can circulate all around the cake as it is baking.

Cake recipe 
2c Cake flour (shifted)
4 eggs ( egg whites and yolks separated)
3/4c honey
1/2c butter
3/4c milk (evap, 1% or 2%)
1 100g (small) container of yogurt ( greek or vanilla)
1tbsp. white sugar (for egg whites)
2tsp. baking powder
1/4tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350degrees. Cream butter, when soft,  add egg yolks, honey, baking powder, salt, milk and yogurt. Mix all ingredients. In a mixer, beat egg whites till frothy white, add 1tbsp. sugar. Egg whites is done when soft peak are formed when you lift mixer handle up. Mix egg whites to batter ( egg yolks, etc.) mixture. Pour into bundt pan. Bake for 35-40minutes.


Icing
Juice of one lemon (strain out the pulps)
2c icing sugar
1/4c milk

Mix everything together, then pour over your cooled Cake.

Best enjoyed with coffee or tea. With good friends and lots of laughter.

No comments: