Main course

Monday, June 27, 2011

LEMON INFUSED CHICKEN W/GREEN BEANS


My love affair with chickens began when I was a child vacationing at my Tito Nono's house in Bicol. His place being a farm operating business with lots of animals,  I inadvertently witnessed how they killed chickens by wringing its neck and submerging it in boiling water to loosen up its feathers for easy plucking.

That childhood nightmare should have had  me forsaking it as food,  on the contrary, I feel in love with all kinds of dishes made with chicken. As my Tito Nono said to me a long time ago, " you can never go wrong eating, cooking and serving chicken they are the best protein source all around, plus they are relatively clean, they are not scavengers they eat what you give them."

One of the fastest to cook when doing stir-fry is chicken breast. The recipe below can be made with other vegetables, one  just have to be creative.

1 chicken breast (medium size) cut into bite size strips
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. fish sauce (patis)
3/4c all purpose flour
2tbsp. sweet paprika
1tbsp. black pepper
1tbsp. chili powder (optional)
1/2 k or 1.1lbs. green beans
4 tbsp. olive oil
1c cashew nuts



In a bowl, marinate chicken breast with lemon juice and fish sauce for 20-30mins. Heat frying pan and cook green beans with  2tbsp. olive oil about five minutes, set aside.
Drain the chicken, in a ziplock bag, put flour, paprika and pepper, making sure all ingredients are mixed. Put the chicken in the flour mixture, making sure all chicken bits are coated in flour.
Heat frying pan with 2tbsp. olive oil, fry chicken till golden brown and when prick by a fork there are no blood coming out.
Put green bean beans back into the pan then garnish with cashew nuts.

Remember that the breast of the chicken has lesser fat content than the other parts. It is healthier to cook, but woe to me, I still love chicken  thighs and wings. Happy eating everyone.

No comments: