Main course

Tuesday, June 07, 2011

RED VELVET CAKE



Ever since I saw a Red Velvet cupcake in a bakery here in Vancouver, I've been dying to try my hand to bake my own version.  So last Mother's Day, I decided to make my very first red velvet Cake. I felt that celebrating a wonderful day to honor us, Mothers was the perfect venue to highlight a delicate looking Cake.


( finished product together with the other desserts)


On the onset,  I was quite hesitant to  make the cake because it calls for 2-4 tbsp. red food coloring. I wasn't keen on putting too much artificial additives in any Cakes that I make. Instead of butter for the Cake, I used vegetable oil. Since the icing calls for butter and cream cheese, making the batter with butter I felt was way too much fat.

Anyways, barring caution, I decided to go ahead and make the Cake. I'm glad I did. It turned out to be moist and delectable,  my family  kept going back to the dessert corner for more.

CAKE
2 1/2 c cake flour (shifted)
1/4 c cocoa powder
1/3 c vegetable oil
1 1/4 c white sugar
6 eggs (separate yolks and whites)
1c + 1 tbsp. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
2-4 tbsp. red food coloring
2 tsp. vinegar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4tsp. salt

ICING
1 bar Cream cheese
1 bar Butter (salted)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c icing sugar
1/2c buttermilk

Whip egg whites till soft peaks form, set aside. Mix cake flour, salt, baking powder and cocoa powder.  Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients then pour oil, egg yolks, vinegar, food coloring and buttermilk. Mix everything together. Pour egg whites to batter mixture and mix. In a rectangle pan, bake in 350degrees oven for 30- 45minutes. It is done when a toothpick pricked in the middle of the cake comes out clean.

For the icing, makes sure that the cream cheese and butter are at room temperature. With  a mixer, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Alternately, pour icing sugar and buttermilk, slowly. Ice your cake, if the icing runs, put your Cake in the freezer for about an hour to harden.

( close up photo of the Cake, which was eaten by the Dessert Monsters right away)

No comments: